If you are seeking one of the best women’s mountain bikes, then you should consider the Diamondback Bicycles Lux Women’s Hardtail Mountain Bike, because it was created to conform to a woman’s physical needs. Diamondback has been making bikes since 1977. Each one of their bikes features custom designs that target the rider’s needs.
Historically, a women mountain bike only featured a smaller frame to cater to a woman’s slight body mass. However, recently mountain bike designs have started to change. Now a woman can find a hardcore mountain bike ride that considers her unique body requirements. A form-fitting bike makes for sweeter riding experience. It also provides optimum handling on even the toughest terrain.
As a female mountain bike enthusiast, I have been riding for a couple of decades. I have seen the transformation of mountain bikes that were once unisex to their modern counterparts which now focus on female riders. Women’s mountain bikes have now been tailored specifically for female riders. The new features enable you to comfortably ride with ease even on rough, bumpy single-track.
- 1 Top Pick: Diamondback Bicycles Lux Women’s Hardtail Mountain Bike
- 2 Runner-Up: Titan Wildcat Women’s 12-Speed Hard Tail Mountain Bike
- 3 A Great Mountain Bike Choice: Schwinn High Timber Mountain Bikes
- 4 Additional Mountain Bike Choice: 26″ Royce Union RTT Women’s 21-Speed Mountain Bike
- 5 Also for Consideration: Mongoose Status 2.2 Women’s 26″ Wheel Mountain Bike
- 6 The Importance of Purchasing a Woman’s Mountain Bike
- 7 Wrap Up
Top Pick: Diamondback Bicycles Lux Women’s Hardtail Mountain Bike
The Diamondback Bicycles Lux Women’s Hardtail Mountain Bike is the pure definition of the term ‘nimble.’ This bike lets the rider hit remain stable even on the toughest climbs and descents. The hydroformed aluminum frame offers terrific clearance and creates a superb physical fit for the female body. The geometry of the ride is all about the trail so it indeed has an excellent balanced feel. When riding, you can maneuver around and across just about any obstacle.
The 80mm Suntour XCT form with preload adjustment gives you excellent traction across even loose gravel when riding the Diamondback Bicycles Lux Women’s Hardtail Mountain Bike. The bike has quick stopping power with the Tektro Aries mechanical disc brakes with 160mm front and rear rotors. Big knobby tires let you take on even the steepest descents with confidence. The bike’s drivetrain is a mix of Shimano and Suntour parts so you know that the bike is indeed made up of the best components for a safe and fulfilling ride. You will have enough gears for just about anything that you run into with the Shimano 3×8 speed drivetrain paired with SR Suntour XCT crank.
The Diamondback Bicycles Lux Women’s Hardtail Mountain Bike comes in S=5’4″-5’7″, M=5’7″-5’10”, and L=5’10”-6’1″ sizes. Undoubtedly, you will find the perfect fit for your physical size. Another added perk of this bike is its lightweight. You can easily load and unload since the bike only weighs 28.5 pounds. Although this weight is a bit more than other mountain bike models, the added pounds can be credited to the bike’s superb construction. The bike’s frame is not flimsy. The tough performance bike withstands whatever the trail throws at it. The bike’s durability lets you ride with confidence.
Runner-Up: Titan Wildcat Women’s 12-Speed Hard Tail Mountain Bike
The Titan Wildcat Women’s 12-Speed Hard Tail Mountain Bike is a steel frame bike that is made for the toughest trails. The frame measures a compact 15-inches and will effortlessly support up to 250 pounds. Unlike many mountain bikes, it even boasts a kickstand, so you don’t have to toss the bike on the ground or prop it against a tree. The bike can be lifted and unlifted when loading without too much strain. It weighs in at 35 pounds.
The durable 26-inch tires and tubes are mounted on steel wheels. Steel hubs offer added durability on the trail. The bike comes equipped with front and rear side pull brakes. You will also be pleased with the thumb shifters located within easy reach on the handlebars so you can quickly and effortlessly change gears. The Titan Wildcat Women’s 12-Speed Hard Tail Mountain Bike also has a steel crank with 12-Speeds so you can climb and descend with ease.
Another perk of the Titan Wildcat Women’s 12-speed Hard Tail Mountain Bike is the power rear derailleur with a long life chain. The bike requires only minimal maintenance or adjustments. Both the seat and the handlebars are adjustable so you can gain the perfect fit.
A Great Mountain Bike Choice: Schwinn High Timber Mountain Bikes
Another excellent mountain bike choice is the Schwinn High Timber Mountain Bike. It features Schwinn’s specially designed frame for offroad riding with a top-notch suspension fork to help absorb the shock of even the bumpiest trails.
The Schwinn High Timber Mountain Bike has Shimano twist shifters with a 21-speed rear derailleur for quick gear change when you are climbing or descending hills. The Schwinn alloy crank has perfect gearing which means less maintenance. The front and rear alloy linear-pull brakes give rapid stopping ability so the additional road security offers peace of mind.
The frame of the Schwinn High Timber Mountain Bike is steel for rugged durability. The bike will easily support up to 300 pounds. The adjustable seat lets you raise or lower the saddle for a comfortable ride.
Additional Mountain Bike Choice: 26″ Royce Union RTT Women’s 21-Speed Mountain Bike
The 26″ Royce Union RTT Women’s 21-Speed Mountain Bike is an Amazon exclusive. The bike’s durable lightweight aluminum frame makes it easier to load and unload. The bike only weighs about 38 pounds. The front Zoom suspension fork absorbs the shock of even the bumpiest, most extreme trails. The saddle is padded and easily adjustable to any height to make the ride even more comfortable. There are no tools required when adjusting the seat’s heat. Just use the quick-release binder.
The Shimano drivetrain delivers 21 speeds for easy climbing and descent. The 26″ Royce Union RTT Women’s 21-Speed Mountain Bike also features a Shimano EZ Fire Plus Trigger to change gears with a bump of the thumb. The Shimano Tourney TY300 rear derailleur also makes shifting a breeze.
The 26″ Royce Union RTT Women’s 21-Speed Mountain Bike has 26-inch tires are knobby for a firm grip across any surface. Stopping is not a concern with the alloy linear-pull brakes that work well against the machined alloy wheel rims. The bike offers rapid and firm stopping power that is also incredibly smooth. Royce Union has been making top-of-the-line bikes since 1904. The design of each bike has the rider’s comfort in mind.
Also for Consideration: Mongoose Status 2.2 Women’s 26″ Wheel Mountain Bike
The Mongoose Status 2.2 Women’s 26” Wheel Mountain Bike boasts an impressive aluminum full suspension frame with a suspension fork that is designed to absorb even the roughest road surface with ease. The wheels are alloy and highly durable. They sport 125” wide mountain tires that easily sail across loose gravel, slippery mud, or other adverse trail conditions.
The 21-speed Shimano rear derailleur has SRAM twist shifters for rapid shifting, so you can always attain the correct gear for any trail. Undoubtedly, the Mongoose Status 2.2 Women’s 26” Wheel Mountain Bike features top-of-the-line designs for the hardcore trail riding enthusiast or anyone who seeks a mountain bike that can tackle any trail with ease. Mongoose features some of the best budget MTBs for women and men.
The Importance of Purchasing a Woman’s Mountain Bike
You might wonder what the differences are between male or female mountain bikes. Well, there are several critical differences. Ideally, if you are serious about mountain biking then you should purchase the correct bike for your sex so you can enjoy the perks of the bike’s design. A lot of work and research went into these bikes to ensure they are the best and safest for whichever gender they have been designed to accommodate.
Here are several key differences between women’s and men’s mountain bikes.
- Weight: A mountain bike for a woman is lighter than a male’s bike. The lightweight makes the bike easier to transport.
- Build: A woman’s legs are typically longer in proportion to her torso compared to that of a man’s legs and frame. A woman’s bike considers this critical body difference.
- Seat: The bike’s seat, often referred to as the saddle, features designs for a comfortable ride even for an extended time or across a great distance.
Mountain Bike Features
Here a few features that set a mountain bike apart from a typical road bike:
- Frame: The frame of a mountain bike boasts either steel or aluminum construction for strength and weight control. Lightweight carbon fiber bikes have also become common. Carbon fiber bikes tend to be more expensive than other mountain bikes, but they do not stand up well during a wreck.
- Suspension: The suspension of a mountain bike lets the bike traverse across uneven terrain while still maintaining traction. You can choose from rigid, hardtail, and full suspension bikes. Rigid bikes offer no suspension or shocks but tend to be easy to pedal. Hardtail has a suspension fork in the front for the best shock absorbency. The rear has no suspension. Undoubtedly, a hardtail is far easier to control on uneven trails and downhill descents. Full suspension bikes have a front fork and a shock in the back to absorb the jarring of the path. A full-suspension bike tends to be expensive, but it can reduce the rider’s fatigue. The suspension also provides excellent traction to create a very relaxing and comfortable riding experience.
- Brakes: Typically, you will encounter either disc or rim brakes on a woman’s mountain bike. Disc brakes offer consistent, smooth braking. Rim brakes lack power and may not be sufficient for steep downhill descents. Also, as they wear down, they can also cause the rim to wear down and require replacement.
- Gears: With a mountain bike, the more gears, the better. Gears give you choices when it comes to what speed to climb or descent to make the ride more natural and smoother.
Mountain bikes afford you the ability to get out and explore the backcountry. You can ride through pristine wilderness areas and also truly test yourself on tight singletrack. Any of the above bikes are a great choice as the best women’s mountain bike. However, the top choice Diamondback Bicycles Lux Women’s Hardtail Mountain Bike definitely stands out as one of the best mountain bike choices for women.